Monday, February 7, 2011

Book #8

Beastly by Alex Flinn
300 pages
Popular fiction
This story is a modern day telling of Beauty and the Beast, my favorite fairy tale. I have read many retellings of Beauty and the Beast and I think that this one is my favorite... so far. At the beginnign of each part there is an IM chat session thing between this doctor and a bunch of teens who have "transformed" into something odd. And all of the teens follow some kind of fairy tale. One girl is the little mermaid, and another guy is the frog prince. So the main guy, Kyle, is everything: hot, popular, and arogant. He is mean to this "new girl" who turns out to be a whitch. She sayd that his personality is beastly so thats what her will be on the outside too. One small thing though, he gave a rose to an unpopular girl and that made her night awesome, because of that small act of kindness Kyle has two years to find love and someone to love him as he is now, an ugly beast. Oh yeah and if he doesn't he will be a beast forever. His dad abandons him because he can't stand to have an ugly son, nice right. Kyle also changes his name because Kyle means "handsome" and he feels he is everything but, so it's Adrian now. He gets a tutor, a hobby, and some new feelings and unexpectantly he changes into a decent person who in the end finds what he needs to break the curse and make him whole.

I thought this was a nice spin on a classic fairy tale. It takes place in New York City and I like that it is in the point of view of the guy this time, it gives me a whole new perspective on the story.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that your overall posts about books are really interesting and I enjoy that you share many different books. I also love Beauty and the Beast, so this will be added to my book list.

    ReplyDelete